Sixty Four On Thirty Two (SFOTT)

Yosemite / Mavericks / Mountain Lion on Unsupported Mac

This page is dedicated to Sfott,

this “little” piece of code I did to automate the creation of USB key with the boot.efi from Tiamo’s of MacRumors.

This script aims to prepare a USB or disc media for Unsupported 32bit based Macs that are not eligibles for Mavericks or Mountain Lion.

Cette page est dédié à Sfott,

Ce “petit” bout de code pour automatiser la création d’une clé USB avec le boot.efi de Tiamo’s de chez MacRumors.

Ce script a pour but de préparer une clé USB ou un disque dur pour certains Macs non supportés 32bit et qui ne sont pas éligibles à Mavericks ou Mountain Lion.

10.10 : SFOTT Yosemite pre-release is out

Take a look at here to download it

10.9.5: Update

If you download the Update via AppStore from 10.9.2 and/or 10.9.3: working out of the box.

No Need to repatch for most ( but some had to repatch )

If you download the Combo from Apple website or via Appstore.

you’ll have to follow the 10.9.2 procedure to repatch the boot.efi

10.9.5: Mise à Jour

Si la MàJ est téléchargée via l’App Store depuis une 10.9.2 et/ou 10.9.3, elle se déroule sans problème .

Pas besoin de repatcher.

Si vous téléchargez la Màj Combo depuis le site Apple ou Appstore,

Vous devrez donc suivre la procédure de la 10.9.2

Here, you’ll always find the latest release. Ici, vous trouverez toujours la dernière version.

Current version is v1.4.4 Click here for a How-to (En)

To update and get 10.9.2 up and running See here for details

La version actuelle est v1.4.4 Cliquez ici pour une petite aide (Fr)

Pour faire fonctionner et mettre à jour en 10.9.2 lisez bien ici pour les détails

Go to the Download page to get SFOTT

Aller sur la page de téléchargements pour obtenir SFOTT

121550 Downloads

It contains an installer pkg that will put the Applescript app (and the shell script bundle in it) in the /Applications/Utilities.
L’image disque contient un installeur qui mettra une application Applescript (et le script shell avec) dans /Applications/Utilitaires.

This wouldn’t be possible without Tiamo’s work in the first place /
Rien ne serait possible sans le travail de Tiamo’s au départ.
Please read the read me | Lisez l’Aide

Back online…. some news

oem.avatar-300x300

Hello guys, I’ve been really busy in my new job and personnal life since last year. I’ll try to answer hundreds of pending comments concerning Sfott. Please Note that I do not have any hardware to test SFOTT since a

Posted in Admin, Mac, sfott

SFOTT download issues

SFOTT_icon_75x75

Hi all, Downloads have reached a huge rate from 25k to 100K+ in less than a month… Holly S…. Website then had serious issues with downloading for about a month, Ticket has been made and I’ve asked my provider to investigate

Posted in sfott

Je suis Charlie

je-suis-charlie
Posted in Admin, Defaults, Deploy, Design, Development, Linux, Mac, sfott, tips tricks scripts, Windows

SFOTT | YOSEMITE beta release

EDIT 20141118 : Update runs fine from AppStore with 10.10.1 seeded today. I am very very very late at coding Sfott, I have focused on Yosemite Server for my job lately. I’ll do my best to go further and at

Posted in sfott Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

SFOTT | YOSEMITE : success

sfott_icon

Thanks to macrumors great people, I too, succeeded to install YOSEMITE (on my MacMini2,1) I do not have anymore MacPro1,1 at hand to test on it. But if a MacMini2,1 takes it, no worries Macpro1,1 & 2,1 will do has

Posted in sfott Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10.9.5 Update and SFOTT | All smooth but BEWARE (again)

sfott_icon

10.9.5 Update runs smooth. No need to repatch the System once done, like for the previous 10.9.3 / 10.9.4 I’ve just downloaded and installed the 10.9.5 Update on my Guinea MacMini2,1 with no hassle. Note I do not have access

Posted in sfott Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

SFOTT | Successful reported installs with Tiamo’s boot.efi and SFOTT script.

sfott_icon

Successful reported installs with Tiamo’s boot.efi (and SFOTT script). PLEASE NOTE : Getting it to be installed is ONE thing. Having a usable system is another thing. For some machines it may be not worth it, to loose wifi, audio

Posted in sfott Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

SFOTT | Comments replies

sfott_icon

Dear All, Just a word to tell you, I’m very late in answering comments and emails lately. I’ll answer them all. Major Changes in my professional life are occurring. Please accept my apologies, and note that I’m still working on

Posted in sfott Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10.9.4 Update and SFOTT | All smooth but BEWARE (again)

sfott_icon

10.9.4 Update runs smooth. No need to repatch the System once done, like for the previous 10.9.3 I’ve just downloaded and installed the 10.9.4 Update on my Guinea MacMini2,1 with no hassle. This Update still installs in two steps :

Posted in sfott Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

SFOTT | 10K downloads

sfott_icon

Thank you all ! Today, 10K downloads have been reached for SFOTT. I hope all of you enjoy as I do. Thank you Tiamo for your great job. N.B. : Currently editing code to test with YOSEMITE… stay tuned. Merci

Posted in sfott Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , ,
108 comments on “Sixty Four On Thirty Two (SFOTT)
  1. David says:

I installed 10.9.0 on my MacPro 1,1 using SFOTT. Worked great. The 10.9.4 combo update installed and I re-patched the system disk, but it did not work. The system disk would not boot. I used 1.4.4 of SFOTT.

I’ll reload 10.9.0 and get the incremental updates from Apple’s website.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

• Great work! One correction on the English instructions: when re-patching after updates the confirmation menu says ‘re-patch again’. This should be simply ‘re-patch’.

En français c’est comme dire ‘re-correctif encore’.

English speakers will assume the patch was already applied at the confirmation prompt.

Un petit problème, mais déroutant au premier abord.

This may be what gave David problems.

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

• Lee says:

Hi David or anyone that can offer help or a link if they have come across my issue.

It seems OEM may be on hols and i really would like some help im in the same boat as you Mac Pro 1,1 2006.

I have my usb done i have a spare drive for a clean instal i even ran it and had 10.9 running on my 1,1 but i cant understand the steps on how to update ie 10.9.1 to 10.9.2 to 10.9.3 to 10.9.4.

I used the app store to update to 10.9.4 and it will not boot back into that OS. so i wiped it start again.

So i can install 10.9 simple but then how do i get to 10.9.4 the instructions are not clear or maybe its me reading them which is the case as many others have already updated.

What i want to do is this.

1, install 10.9
      2, update to 10.9.4
      3, check play with for a few days as i only have 7GB of ram and want to make sure of the affect on CPU and RAM.
      4, My now main HD 500gb running 10.7.5 wipe ready for a clean install
      5, Main HD partition for 10.9 say 400GB and 100GB for boot camp windows, would also like to starting using and familiarising myself with Linux so maybe 400gb= Mavericks 60Gb=B/Camp win and 40GB=Linux

What im not quite getting is the updating of SFOTT to version 1.4.2 to update to 10.9.2 when i already have version 1.4.4 when i made my usb boot disk.

Any help much appreciated, just need a nudge in the right direction to be able to update and whether or not i can go 10.9 straight to 10.9.4 if so which update to use the combo or app store.

Thanks in advance to all also OEM for building this and of course Tiamo

Hi Lee,

Apologies for the delay….

if you did not made the update to 10.9.2 yet and plan to go to 10.9.3 or 10.9.4 directly, then yes you’ll have to repatch.

Repatch and 10.9.2+ update will change boot.efi

So
        – Update from 10.9 to 10.9.2+ (10.9.2 or 10.9.3 or 10.9.4) from the Mac AppStore.
        – Let it reboot you’ll have a failure, it’s ok.
        – Then either from a SFOTT Key or simpler from another system (let’s say 10.7.x), run the SFOTT script again and choose re-path don’t forget to previously choose the system to repatch in Settings.
        – repatch then reboot.

Hope I’m clear enough

2. Lee says:

Im just getting round to installing Mavericks on my 2006 mac pro 1,1 i know im very late doing this.

Anyway open to anyone, can i go straight to 10.9.4 or should i go 10.9.2 10.9.3 10.9.4 anyway whats the best way a link will do if this has already been answered, if so sorry in advance for asking the same question.

Hi Lee,

I’m really sorry to answer so lately. you can go on straight to the last version of 10.9.4, this will save you hassle of the the combo update needing re-patch

• Lee says:

Cheers OEM

Look I’m happy you have responded, your doing this for FREE so thank you very much for all your effort, Im not in work at the moment but will remember, when to drop a little donation in when i am.

Just to clarify i install 10.9 using the made boot key.
        Then download the standard 10.9.4 update NOT the combo.

I do not have to patch or run the key at any point between 10.9 and 10.9.4 I think that im over thinking it because its to easy.

Thanks again will give it ago at some point in the next day.

Hello Lee,

I’ve not made all tests but If I’m correct :
          – You will HAVE to REpatch until you reach 10.9.2 or more (as you have 10.9)

So 10.9 & 10.9.1 WILL HAVE TO REPATCH no matter what, Even if you download via AppStore.
          Once you have at least 10.9.2 or 10.9.3 or 10.9.4, then no re-patch will be necessary.

Or if you like anyone with 10.9.2 will NOT have to re-patch to go to 10.9.3 or 10.9.4 with download via AppStore.

Of course if you download a combo update .dmg, then re-patch will be necessary.

3. tim says:

Just to say thank you for breathing new life into my aging mac pro 1, 1.

I used SFOTT yesterday to install mavericks without any trouble whatever. It just worked like magic!

I now have dual boot to lion or mavericks on a 2006 machine.

Next for me, clovertown processors!

Hi Tim,

thanks to report back.
      Enjoy and let us know when you’ll have Clovertown processors up and running… :)

4. Javier Lopez says:

Hello,

I have an issue with the installer, I had created a Mavericks 10.9.3 installer USB with the 64 to 32 script, I am on Mac Pro 2,1 running OS X 10.7.5, but I can not boot from the USB drive and when I try to install I get an error message: “Could not find installation information for this machine”. Any advise please?. Thanks for the responses.

Hello Javier,

Have you runned the auto mode ?
      Did you go to settings and validate them ?

5. André Favreau says:

Bonjour,

J’ai installé le tout et ça fonctionne très bien, merci.

J’ai seulement un doute par rapport à ma carte graphique et à ma carte SATA.

-Mon ATI Radeon HD 5770 semble manquer un des deux pilotes selon les informations du système. Celui du ATY, VervetParent. Est-ce normal que le menu du Finder se trouve en haut des mes DEUX écrans?

-Ma carte SATA semble aussi manquer un des deux pilotes, celle du IDE Controller.
    Voici ma carte ainsi que le boitier (enclosure):

Merci pour tout

André

Salut André,

Content que tu ais pu faire l’installation avec le script.

Hélàs pour tout ce qui est Drivers & Co, je ne peux aider. Too much configs.
      De plus je n’ai plus accès pour le moment au MacPro1,1 qui me servait de test.

Tu trouveras beaucoup plus d’infos sur MacRumors et consorts pour tout ce qui touche aux pilotes.

N.B. : pour le menu sur les deux écrans oui c’est normal (et bienvenue) cela t’évite d’avoir à parcourir tout l’écran. tu cliques sur le menu qui est le plus proche pour toi et il sera celui qui est actif.

@+

6. Patrick says:

Gracias por el fantástico trabajo.He instalado mavericks 1.9.4 perfectamente pero el mission control en las esquinas no funcionan correctamente y si por teclado. Alguna idea?
    Y he oído algo de poner tarjetas gráficas de pc cuales son si hay que hacer algo especial.
    Tengo un mac pro 2.1 con la ati radeon HD 5770 de 1024 mb y 12 gb de ram.
    Gracias por todo.
    Y siento escribir en español ya que en ingles no tengo tanta soltura, aunque he visto que también esta en frances y si podría escribir en frances.
    Lo dicho mil gracias.

Hola Patrick,

No puedo ayudar for “drivers issues”.
      perdona mi español, hace mucho tiempo para mi…

Si puedes escribir (leer) en frances… va sur Macbouille.com ou macg.co tu trouveras des infos sur les Upgrade de cartes vidéos compatibles.

Normalemente tu tarjeta grafica esta bien.

7. Petr says:

Hi, can I ask if is SFOTT compatible with latest version of Mavericks install app downloaded from App Store? I spend several hours triing to create Mavericks boot flash for Mac Pro 1.1 (upgraded to 2.1) with same result: it hangs when flashdisk is selected upon boot (holding ALT button). Tried it several times with different flash disc and internal 10 GB partition, always same result – hangs after clicking to SFOTT disk selection. No error, but sometimes after several minutes it boots back to Lion. Tried all manual steps, there is no single error message in the process.

Hello Petr,

Well I’m begining to think that MacPro1,1 upgraded to MacPro2,1 can have issues….

One suggestion would be to repatch the key before using it for the MacPro1,1 too.
      Maybe at some point it could help.

Now to answer your first question, I don’t remember if in my numerous tries I did create a Key from the latest 10.9.4 downloaded from the App Store…
      I’ll give it a try if I can, but will only be able to test on the Mini for now;

Q : have you tried with a FW drive ?
      Q : have you tried front AND back USB ports ?
      Q : Have you tried PATA/IDE ? (I did most of my installs on the MP1,1 with an old IDE disc below the Optical drive with success – and also have tried the same disc in FW with an external enclosure)

8. Jeff Waldron says:

I’ve have a 2006 Mac Pro working great for some months now on 10.9 thanks to SFOTT, but I have one issue that I could not see any comments around… my email search returns nothing… so I assume the indexing is broken… Spotlight works on the computer though… I tried to “Rebuild” the mail folders, it goes through the process, but does not change behavior. On this machine I have a separate drive w/ 10.7 installed.

9. Jeff Waldron says:

my bad, ignore that question… i had my Mav 10.9 drive in the privacy section in Spotlight

10. Anthony says:

I bought a Mac Pro 2.1 which had Maverick 10.9.1 installed. It did not come with the Maverick reinstaller in the application folder or elsewhere on the computer. I have no idea what software was used to make the conversion. I was told not to install 10.9.2 or it would freeze. I do not know how to get the 10.9.1 installer to make a USB startup drive as per instructions here. The AppStore will not let me in to get it. Can I buy a Maverick 10.9.4 startup USB drive and then install SFOTT? At least I would know what conversion system I am using.

Hello Anthony,

Can you be more explicit on the “AppStore will not let you in” ?
      Maybe a Cameleon install – which I don’t know a single stuff on.

1st) don’t buy anything but a new (virgin – empty) USB Stick.

2) if you can’t get Mavericks from Appstore :
      2.1 to get it, try a friend or MDE – Maverick Download Enabler – from rastafabi on Macrumors.
      2.2 buy a NEW HARD DRIVE to test on, and remove you current system HDD and any other, as if it was mad by alternate chameleon instll you don’t want to mess things up and crash your actual setup.

2.2.1 nuance : use you actual setup to create a SFOTT USB stick, then remove all drive but the TEST Hard Drive.
      If you succeed, then you’ll be (should be) able to go to AppStore

Hope I’m clear, come back if I’m not ;)

my best

11. Patrick says:

SFOTT saved me a lot of time in after both my backup and main HD crashed during a backup (doh!) last night. Being completely devastated by this event, I really wasn’t into going the traditional route in recreating a proper installation USB stick at 2am in the morning. Luckily I found SFOTT and in no time I had my MacPro1,1 back on 10.9.5. A real time saver and god sent gift.

Thanks for your work, thanks for keeping this free to the community!
    Looking much forward on your work for Yosemite …
    Best, Pat

12. smate333 says:

Hi,

Should we update to 10.9.5 directly from SU?

13. Had some concerns at first.
    The you tube video helped
    every thing went smooth as silk
    Mac Pro 1,1 10.7.5 -> 10.9.5
    Many thanks to you and Tiamo

The USB “sfott” must remain mounted at all times, correct

14. Stoney Lawson says:

Using install disk form 10.9.3
    I constantly get these errors..
    is it the installer version

Replace the boot.efi on the New Key
    [replace boot.efi]
    check if Tiamo’s boot.efi is there
    boot.efi found (graphic)
    /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig/boot.efi
    boot.efi found (verbose)
    /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefiv/boot.efi
    listing original boot.efi files
    /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
    ls: /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi: No such file or directory
    unlocking /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
    mv: rename /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi to /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi.Apple.orig: No such file or directory

[|] cp: /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi: No such file or directory
    relocking new new /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Hello Stoney,

This is quite strange indeed. What I understand here is that the boot.efi files are not present.
      Where did you get the installer ? Did you downloaded it from the AppStore.

15. james hughes says:

Hey,
    just want to say how awesome it is that I can use my Mac Pro V1,1 again. thanks you so much for this installer.
    Mavericks is rockin on it, and I had a ASUS HD 7890 lying around that’s working nicely.
    I didn’t realise that it would also let me use PC versions of Graphics cards. Is this all part of the features of the patch?
    Is there a list of graphics cards that will work anywhere?

nice work guys.

Hello James,

Great it worked. For the graphic cards, it is since Mountain Lion that PC cards can be use.
      No it is not because of me, way more beyond my skills. I’m not Netkas nor Tiamo :)

Note : the only issue with PC cards is that you surely will have a black screen at boot until drivers are loaded. Always keep the original graphic card if possible so you can chooose disc at boot and debug in case of trouble.
      For a list of graphics cards, xlr8yyourmac and macrumors are a good starting point.

16. BogMan says:

I just wanted to say, that I set up Maverick’s this weekend on my Mac Mini core 2 duo using SFOTT.

Everything set up smooth, I did have to repatch after update to 10.9.5. THANK YOU for writting SFOTT

cheers :-)

17. BarryJC7 says:

Thank you SFOTT, for putting yourself and your projects (plus all that people that helped leading up to this) out there.. I got My 1,1 turn into a 2, 1 by installing newer 4-core CPUs, now my tower in to a Maverick Monster, with the fixes of SFOTT… Works great.
    Again Thanks,
    @BJC7

18. Gary Be says:

set up a Mavericks SFOTT key (10.9.5 installer) with no problems from a Macbook 4,1 running 10.7.5 but when I tried to run the installer the following message occurs – “Could not find installation information for this machine” and of course it failed

19. Masahiro says:

Hi,
    I have succeeded installing Mavericks 10.9 and upgrade to 10.9.5 successfully thanks to your software, however, every time when I use Apple Emigration Assistant to transfer my data from 10.7 drive, it fails to restart back to 10.9.5. (The computer starts with Vermose mode and hangs up.)
    Do you have any suggestions what to do? I am curious what are other people commentating about the file transfer after finishing the installation?
    I would appreciate if you could let me know.
    Thanks.
    Regards,

Hello Mashiro,

I’ve not tried Migration Assistant, but other did. I you have such behaviours,
      I’d suggest you do it step by step…. like
      Users first, I would not try settings, I’d hope for Apps to be transferred.

• Masahiro says:

Hi Oem,

Thank you for getting back to me.
        If the boot.efi is rewritten by using Migration Assistant, is it possible to patch and reinstall the boot.efi by using SFOTT?

Someone also said that Applications is OK by using Migration Assistant but not Personal or Networking Set up.

Thanks.

Hello Masahiro,

yes there is function in the latest Sfott to repatch the system.
          either you install the SFOTT (via the installer) on the key to be sure everything needed is there, or you use target mode if you have another bootable system. Then using re-pach System from the script will replace the boot.efi once again.

For migration Assistant I’ve not tested it actually… obviously Computer Settings and others Networking do not work. (I’m surprised but it seems to be)

• masahiro says:

Hi oem,

I wanted to try installing Yosemite by using your latest SFOTT installer (ver.1.4.4).

I launched this SFOTT and only found 10.9 and Mavericks pre-written in your Terminal text. No 10.10 or Yosemite are written in it. Can I still use this version or you have a newer version for Yosemite?

Thanks.

Hello Masahiro,

There is a “beta” version of Sfott for Yosemite. I have to finish the code and include it in the Official release.
            for now, please go there : http://oemden.com/?p=1361 AND READ ;).

Week-end was busy so I do not code much, but I’ll do my best to release it ASAP officially.

20. Masahiro says:

Hi,

I used your “beta” version of Sfott for Yosemite” and successfully installed a retail version of Yosemite.
    All I did was to rename ‘Install OS X Yosemite.app’ to ‘Install OS X Yosemite Beta.app’.
    I haven’t had any problem so far.

Regards,

4 Pings/Trackbacks for "Sixty Four On Thirty Two (SFOTT)"