SFOTT | troubleshooting

In case you encounter some troubles here are some reported Tips from my experience or feedback on comments :

BACKUP first
If you’ve read the comments you know I’m paranoid. just backup your system and even better just buy a cheap HDD if don’t have one to test first.
trust me it worth it unless your current setup, datas etc… doesn’t count for you.

failing to create the key

• Be sure you’ve got a 8Gig USB stick at minimum.

Note that I do use a 2Gig USB Stick for my Dummy test in dummy mode – wich does create the Key without copying Packages.
Very fast and will let you know if you can proceed the install – aka if you reach the installer when booting from the patched key without messages (stating you can’t do it)
then go back to the script from your system and convert the dummy key to a real key. or if like me you used a 2Gig key, then restart the script and choose a 8Gig USB stick (or partition from any HDD)

failing to boot from the patched Key

• Try to add an extensionUSB cable, Yes I know weird .
  • Change the USB slot for the key :
    Odly I’ve had some tests in which I had to plug the USB stick on the rear panel of the MacPro1,1, the Stick on the front Panel didn’t show up.
  • Change the USB Stick :
    I’ve put 3 USB keys (of poor quality) to the cemetery during my tests. Countless erase and rewrite of the Keys was too much for them.
    ( And that’s why I created the dummy option, now you know )
  • Use an Internal Disk/partition :
    Some users reported failure like : booting then – staled system and reboot or failing and going back to “standard” Os (like Lion or snow Leo).
    In most cases using an Internal Disk and/or Partition solved the problem.

Booting but Having a message you can NOT install on that particular machine

Tricky there.

• NEW HINT if trouble shooting Mac unsupported : Disconnect from internet ! here
  • double check you’ve got correct board-id and Model, even more if you entered those by hand.
  • Maybe the script had error/failure when creating the key. you should use the auto run setup so you do stuff in order and automatically without missing a step.

at least two person reported the command gave them a MacPro3,1 infos instead of the MacPro1,1. haven’t got news nor final word on that so I don’t know….
UPDATE : this was a MDE (Mavericks Download Enabler Issue see below)

• maybe you won’t make the install because of Graphic card in 32bit etc… even if the key worked til the installer screen. I couldn’t test that and didn’t dig more than that.

10.9.2 Update

• This update changes the boot.efi – so you’ll HAVE TO repatch as explained here and just use (for example) the re-patch existing System from the script
  • Key creation from the 10.9.2 installer works with no need to repatch the system again.

10.9.3 – 10.9.4 Updates

• if you did not had the 10.9.2 update yet and try to go from 10.9-10.9.1 to 10.9.2+ (aka 10.9.2 10.9.3 – 10.9.4) then you’ll have a combo update, THEN you’ll have to follow the 10.9.2 Update NOte that once you’ve done one of those 3 you wno’t have any troubles – for now at that time of writing

Spotlight Failure on System drive after 10.9.2 Update

• My bad here. SFOTT 1.4.2 included a step it should have not had. Corrected on 10.4.3. I did post another “small script” to get Spotlight back on track.
    see here and here to download the script.

iMessage Not Working

• 1st, you’ll mostly have to have a Recovery Partition
  • 2nd, “MacUser” reported on the comments here : http://oemden.com/?p=828#comment-300, that as soon as he entered a valid credit card iMessage was working.

Recovery Partition

• to get a Recovery Partition, for now you’ll have to get other utilities.

I’ve been working on this and I’ve got the result expected but still didn’t finished the work to publish it yet. I’m late on that one.
You need Recovery Partition for iMessage of Filevault to work.

Sleeping not working

If you have a sleep issue.
Note:
Others have reported such an issue an not only with Tiamo’s tweak | This seems to be wider than just our tweaked Macs – aka if can also happen even on Supported Macs.

Finally maybe a solution: found here from patrick86′s comment n°1400445 on a french website and reported to solve the issue from ak, here

Getting the Hibernate sleep status mode and eventually changing it could help you out :

You can get your current sleep mode with this command:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

which you can modify it with this command:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode X

X being :
mode 0 : classical sleep mode with no RAM being saved
mode 1 : deep sleep mode after saving the RAM
mode 3 : classical sleep mode with RAM saved (take a bit longer), this is default behavior on laptops .
mode 5 et 7 : respectively mod

maybe on wired.com you can have some info :

Finally note that setting 3 did the job for ak

Graphics, Wifi

Well that’s a big question far beyond the scope of the script. Still I’ll make a post to report Success configs here.

• Get a Valid supported Mac graphic card to get boot screen
  • Get a Flashed PC card (or patch it)

In any case I strongly suggest you keep the original graphic card at hand to troubleshoot if needed – and even better let it installed even if you don’t attach a screen. in case of trouble just plug your screen back on it to get something on the screen.

Same applies for Wifi – my Guinea MacMini2,1 just did fine but it has no wifi. As I don’t care (I tested without knowing it would work to get 10.9.x on it !) I didn’t go deeper.

Anyway, I focus on the script making the patched Key creation easier, and that’s quite a job (for me at least)

You can’t get the installer from the AppStore

Solution 1

Well so you only have one Mac at hand, yes this can happen to good people ;)

• Get the installer from a Friend, co-worker, Familly (someone you do trust – I would avoid exotic downloads) and copy it to your computer, or create the key on the Mac on which the installer is, or connect

Solution 2

MDE – Mavericks Download enabler

• Find and download Rastafabi MDE (Mavericks Download Enabler) from Macrumors.

Follow his instructions, then download the installer from the APPStore, then use the SFOTT script to go on Patched Key creation.
Very easy and effective. It does work and I tested it on both macpro1,1 and Macmini2,1.

IMPORTANT NOTE :

Use the DMG version of MDE
rather than Kext – 1st version.

Those who have an Issue with their Macs reporting MacPro3,1 have used the first Kext Version of MDE.
I did use the second version with the DMG and cloned it to a small partition on a USB stick. I ‘ve had No issue at all as said just above.

Edit :

I’ve figured out the “trouble” if I may say, and think I can add a command to verify and resolve the issue. I’ll work on it.

Edit2 :

You can find more info here:

I will (may) add this to the script but for partition scheme and formatting it is a bit tricky as one must choose first if he wants MDE or not on the key. it implies many pre-checks, like total size available on the target key, etc… did not code much on it lately. but the Base is ready just have to code more adn figure how to include it nicely in the SFOTT script. (I know it’s hard for me to speak shortly)

If you have another Mavericks capable Mac at hand, either connect to it via filesharing, or copy the Installer on your computer, or plug your Capable Mavericks computer once you’ve got the installer and plug it in target mode to your computer to create the key. Don’t choose its System as target so double check what you choose for the Key creation.
If you’re not sure or don’t get what I’m talking about forget the target mode and stick to filesharing or copying the installer on your target Mac you’re making the key for.

Don’t forget all of this is doable thanks to Tiamo from Macrumors.

Thanks to his boot.efi magic trick we can use our Unsupported macs with an elegant Patch Method.
Chameleon and such are great for sure, They are really good for Hackintosh thats’ for sure, but I’ve never had the courage to get on those to put Mountain Lion on the Macpro1,1. Tiamo gave us a simpler way and gave me a good motivation to create this script as personnal challenge.

I also have to thank Rastafabi as he was the first to “validated” my work and “approve it”. Many thanks.
He also made the MDE trick, so you could download Mavericks directly from your unsupported Mac.
Please read above concerning MDE eventual issue and the Macpro3,1 reporting.

I also have to thanks Duncan McCracken from mondada as his SIC script enlightened me on scripting menus.
SIC is a marvelous tool and a great code.

I really Hope you’ll succeed giving your Mac a second Life with Mavericks.

• Don’t hesitate to comment if you’ve got failure and I’ll try to help
  • Don’t hesitate to comment if you’ve got success ! please report your setup too so other have better infos.

I’ll update if I find any info relevant to tell

Frenchies, je fais une trad au plus vite.

Olivier
About

Product and graphic designer turned to be a Mac SysAdmin.

Posted in sfott Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
118 comments on “SFOTT | troubleshooting
  1. Avatar Chris Ogard says:

Hi trying to get this to work I have a macpro 2.1. running snow leopard and have 10.9.2 on a usb ..When i launch sfott ..I go through all the steps but when i enter my password sfott does not launch the window to choose language.. ? any suggestions? thanks for your hard work!!

Hello Chris,

Do you mean: all the steps with GUI (in the launcher) then entering your password in the dialog box ?
      indeed yes it should pop up Terminal Application, open a new window, pass the password to it.

Eventually can you explain a bit more and/or send me some screen shots ?

Do you have last 10.6.8 ?
      Is You Home Directory on the / (default Startup Disc) ?

Maybe launch the Terminal with a “new” window opened before launching the script via the launcher.

Alternatively you could launch the script directly from a Terminal Window with this command
      (it then will ask for your password, Note in case you don’t know that, that you won’t see what you type when entering your password):

sudo -k /Applications/Utilities/Sfott/SFOTT.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/SFOTT.sh

(note the -k option is to reset the password timestamp immediately – so you have to enter your password again for next sudo. you can forget the -k option if you like)

Finally, note that I’ve runned the most often the script via the launcher (or directly) from 10.6.8 Os, So I’m sure it works on SL….

• Avatar Chris Ogard says:

Thanks for the reply.. yes i am running 10.6.8. i am not that knowledgeable with these things so i do not know if my Home Directory on the / (default Startup Disc)
        I will try to get some screen shots later but .. I open sfott click run, then agree on second page, then continue on 3rd and 4th page, than click launch, then enter my password and click launch and this opens a blank page with terminal- login -page 80×24 in its heading ..i hope this better describes my problem.. thanks again

• Avatar Chris Ogard says:

btw ..home is on the startup disc .. it must to be i only have one hd in this computer at the moment.

Ok noted.
            BUT PLEASE NOTE : this is really very very very important !
            Don’t try anything until you have another spare drive to test everything. you are playing a dangerous game with your system and datas here if you only have one disc.

NEVER ever do so. At minimum you must have a clone image (carbon Copy Cloner for example) of your disc on another one.
            that being said…. send me the screenshot ;)

Hello Chris,

hmmmm, please send me a screenshot of the Terminal window….
          I can’t reproduce this behaviour.

2. Avatar Chris Ogard says:

OK! i got to the main menu. i then exited sfott. because i wanted to ask you before i continued. I have nothing on this hard drive i need . i had just done a clean install of snow leopard . since there is no data to loose. can i continue without the second hard drive? and just reinstall snow leopard if mavericks does not work for me? thanks so much for your help.!! chris

All right then….

If this is a “spare System” like you tell then yes of course you can go on. I’ve done All I can to avoid mistakes with the script but better safe than sorry by telling it.

you can also consider to create a Partition for Mavericks so If things go wrong you still have a valid 10.6.8 at hand. You also can consider the “Dummy Option” (3 to 5mn max) for the Key to speed things up. no packages copy => fast creation time => you boot on the key => if all good boot (you reach the install window) => reboot back to 10.6.8 and convert dummy key to real key (25 mn of Packages copy for me with my USB stick).

Good luck

3. Avatar Clint says:

I have an old Mac Pro, 2,1 late 2007 model running 2x quadcore 3.0 ghz Xeon processors. I’m using snowleopard and it has been my workstation for a long time.

Recently I had an issue with Python and couldn’t get Django installed correctly for a course I’m taking, My advisor told me to upgrade to mavericks. So, I found that my machine wasn’t supported because of 32bit efi. Not sure what that means. It runs 64 bit programs like Maya and Nuke like a champ, so apparently 64 bit and 64bit efi are different things. Anyways, I did some research and found the sfott 32 to 64 tool and used it to install mavericks on my machine. I found it at oemden.com

Because snowleopard was working fine, I decided to install mavericks In a brand new separate drive.

Mavericks works fine, other than some video card issues, I get some random, rgb pixels on my monitor now and my second display isn’t detected at all. But I can do the python Django training so I’ll live. I’m using a quadrofx 4500.

But now, when I boot into snowleopard on my other hd, it freezes almost every time. Most of the time it gets stuck on the white screen after the apple logo. Sometimes I’m lucky enough to get it logged in but it freezes randomly. I always have to hard boot to get it back.
    I tried using disk utility while in mavericks and after running repair permissions and repair disk it stated that the drive was in good shape. Because I can run things in mavericks I don’t think it’s a memory issue.

I thought because I installed mavericks on separate drive it wouldn’t affect my snowleopard drive.

Any suggestions, thoughts?

Hi Clint,

Sorry for the very late reply, was “OFF”.

1- Yes, as you’ve guessed, 64bit soft and 64 efi are two different things. Tiamo’s boot.efi tricks this.

2-If you did install Mavericks on separated drive (and you’ve been very right to do so) then no, it should not affect you Snow Leopard drive in any case.

3-If you did not found a solution since the (very long) time you commented here, I’d first try to
      — remove the Mavericks HDD (for testing purpose)
      — reboot (alt-option key pressed at boot) in SL
      — Check permissions with “SL disk utility”
      — go to pref pane / startup disc : choose SL disc.
      — reboot.

4- If you still having issues I’d try to reset PRAM/NVAM (holding apple-command / alt-option / P / R keys at boot time). wait for the third dong/sound and reboot, then release keys and let it boot.

5- you can also try :
      — Create a New Admin user and see if it still freezes with it.
      — if yes then it is system wide (or hardware)
      — if no then some preferences of yours may be messing around.

— Boot in SAFE mode (by pressing the SHIFT key at boot time and wait for a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen)
      and here again see if you have random freeze.
      Note : that you surely won’t be able to launch or use third party applications as this mode will boot with minimal extensions. as the name suggest (or not) safe mode is basicaly a way to be sure the basic ‘main’ system runs ok)

4. Avatar Emes says:

I can’t get SFOTT to work on my macbook A1181 for Mavericks 10.9.1. Or various other versions of Mavericks. The computer refuses to boot from the external HDD or a USB flash drive (tried different USB ports too). The computer will see the SFOTT device plugged in, but when clicking on it in the boot screen, it will lag a little bit with the Apple logo and spinning circle, and then just boot into my main OS Lion drive like nothing is readable. I also tried clicking on the installer from my main drive in OS Lion, and from there I can at least the installer opens from the external HDD, but then during the verification it says “Could not find installation information for this machine.” And then the executable abruptly closes itself, and that’s it.
    My Board ID is Mac-F22788A9 and as far as I can see, SFOTT changed everything correctly.

5. Avatar Emes says:

Oh and I already did try booting from a partition with SFOTT key and that did not work either. I also tried manually adding my Board ID when all else failed.

Hello Emes,

Well you give the board-id and macbook A1181.
      but Note that A1181 is a wide range of macbooks. some are 64bit capable and some are 32bits and won’t make it at all.

please give the model : macbook1,1 most certainly won’t do it. as it is a Core Duo and not a Core 2 Duo.
      I’ve not really been attentive on what models worked or not.
      Tim here http://oemden.com/?page_id=585#comment-493 did it others had trouble.

I’ve not this hardware at hand to test so I can’t help much but I’ll do my best.

6. Avatar Werner Janßen says:

May MAC mini 1.1 with C2D upgrade won’t start which SFOTT. First it shows the normal startup screen with the grey apple. After a fews minutes the screen shows a crossed circle and the system hang up.
    Maybe i did something wrong but i don’t know what.

regards, werner

Hello Werner,

I’m afraid you won’t make it as MacMini1.1 is core Duo.
      EDIT : OK sorry I did not read carefully, you do have Core2Duo.

Comparing (with MacTracker) your Macmini1,1 updated and my Macmini2,1 hardware, the only difference I see is the Total RAM capacity.
      MacTraker states that macMini2,1 can get 3Gb Max Ram (and Apple states 2Gb Max RAM).

And as I was checking my MacMini I realized I have 2x2Gb RAM = 4Gb RAM.
      So even better for me 4Gb are supported and I’ll check with late Mactracker Version to inform it – I’m also running on 10.7 this mini in normal days.

So, to return to the issue My Guess would be not enough RAM maybe ?

EDIT2: Apple says that 2Gb at least are needed: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5842

How much RAM do you have ?

• Avatar Werner Janßen says:

Hello,
        thank you for your replay.
        it runs now!
        The Hardware of Mac mini 1.1 and 2.1 are identical.
        First, i flashed the firmware from 1.1 to 2.1.,
        Second, i build a new key with SFOTT,
        Third, i could install mavericks 10.9.3 and it works.
        The RAM should be upgraded to 4GB because with the 2GB there are only left 4MB for graphic.

But.

There are no driver installed for Airport and the build-in audio-devices.
        Maybe, the type of driver depend on the board-id. I don’t know what happened on an Mac mini 2.1. I couldn’t change the board-id to an Mac mini 2.1.

regards

Hey Werner,

Great you did it.
          Yes No wifi/airport it is “known” issue.
          I too have no wifi. (for now I don’t care, this mini is mostly under Lion unless for testing new SFOTT script versions)

Anyway My advice is if you really want wifi, then best would be to get a new wifi PCBboard.
          It can be changed, I can’t tell which one you should get, but surelly enough I quite sure we can get one Mavericks recognise and that fits into the mini.
          I have one in a MacPro3,1 I could test inside this mini. I’ll see if it fits and what the result is.

Concerning the board-id change, well, I don’t know if MacPro1,1 transformed in MacPro2,1 still shows as MacPro1,1 or finally shows up as MacPro2,1 ?!

7. Avatar Sherwin says:

Hello,

Thank you for your work in creating this script. It really does give my 2006 Mac some more use.

I’ve got everything pretty much working on my Mac Pro 1,1 running on 10.9.2 but the only thing that isn’t working is the search function within my Mail app. The inspector works for the system, but it doesn’t work within Mail. I can’t use the search for any emails within the application.

I know this could be another issue, but it worked before I used the SFOTT update, and now it doesn’t. I’ve tried multiple things I found on the forums regarding search issues within Mail, but it doesn’t seem to fix it. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you.

Hello Sherwin,

Well the first thing I think of is the “Spotlight issue”, but I think you say you can search System wide and not in the Mail App.
      It is resolved in the 1.4.4.
      Depending on the version you downloaded you may have it in the dog.
      Otherwise here you’ll find a little script to reenable Spotlight on the System, more info here http://oemden.com/?p=828

Question, is your Home directory on the same Disc as the System – meaning is it in the default /Users Folder ?
      If not then it may be something else. you should be able to get at least “mail” results from a spotlight search.
      Also check if you have Messages&Chats trigered in the Spotlight Preferences pane and/or that Mail is not in the Spotlight list of the Spotlight Privacy tab…

that’s all I’m thinking of right now.

8. Avatar Joop says:

Hi,

Thanks for all the efforts you are all putting int this. I am so happy that my m&a pro 1.1 can now run on the latest software.

I installed maverick last night via the USB route. I alo immediately updated to the latest update. When I restarted I removed the USB stick but on the start screen I did not get the apple logo but a picture of a folder with a question mark and no further progress. When I put the USB stick again the apple logo came back but only to install maverick again.

Do hou have any idea what I missed, looks like a boot file is missing, but not sure what to do. I am reinstalling maverick now, but any tips to do it differently are much welcome.

Best, joop

Hello joop,

In case you didi not make since you posted here,
      if you did have 10.9 running fine, then after the update you’ll have to re-patch following the 10.9.2 procedure

9. Avatar Nash says:

Hi

I have managed to install osx 10.9 on MacBook Pro 2.2 which has a ati Radeon x1600 video card

.everything works fine apart from my VRAM is at 5mb

Youtube crashes and so does dashboard

Safari flickers

Any advise on fixing?

And also checked my system prefs and now my mac thinks it has a ati Radeon HD 48xx…..I’m confused! Still says VRAM 5 mb

Hello Nash,

Waoh ! did not know macbookpro 2.2 would make it.

for the video I don’t think you ‘ll have better result unless you tweak with kext.
      same issue with the mini only 6mb VRAM.

10. Avatar Neil says:

Jumping for joy with this – Thank you!!

I wonder if you are considering updating it for Yosemite?

Hello Neil,

Thanks to report back.

Of course I’ll update the tool for Yosemite. I’ve begun but A brand new life and holidays took me away from coding.
      I plan to code back more regularly now and answer way more quickly to comments again !

11. Avatar Jonathan says:

Hi there

I’ve recently used SFOTT to update my Mac Pro to Mavericks 10.9.2. I’ve updated my graphics card to a mac-compatible Radeon HD 5770. Installation has all gone pretty smoothly, but the problem I now have is that my USB ports – front and back – are not working / behaving weirdly.

I have reset the PRAM and SMC via the three buttons on the motherboard (two within the RAM bay; one under the top PCI Express slot – I’m not sure which is which. What is the 3rd one?).

Despite this, USB devices other than the keyboard and mouse are not recognised, either when plugged in before start-up or after. If you unplug the keyboard or mouse after start-up and plug them in again, they will not be recognised again.

The Firewire ports seem unaffected. I’ve lost WiFi in the upgrade, but this appears to be a common issue. My sleep mode seems to be functioning normally.

According to the internet, my Machine is a 2007 MacPro1,1 A1186.

Has anyone else had problems with USB connectivity after upgrade? Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

Many thanks!

Hi Jonathan,

I’ve not read such USB issues. well I did but mostly before installing and thus preventing the install by USB stick and with the use of internal drive or partition.

I remember that some had trouble with airport card and than removing them solved the install issues. So has airport are on USB, that you report wifi lost, then wifi/airport being USB, this may be a hint. I’d try to remove the card then see if it changes.

Also for the keyboard and Maverick I’ve read that some “Apple” keyboard were not recognised, and that using a USB cable extension did the trick ! so if you have one use it this may also help.

12. Avatar sean says:

Ran the latest installer on a Mac Pro 1,1 with OS 10.9.3 . Everything installed just fine but, when I plug an ethernet cable into the computer it isn’t recognized. Any suggestions?

Hi Sean,

Weird indeed. Have you tried to change the port on the switch / router side ?
      I sometimes have to do so on my Internet Router and or switches…
      Not sure it helps but you never know.

13. Avatar Emmen says:

Hello, Thanx for the great tool! I have installed Mavericks on my Macmini2,1 (late 2007) Everything seems to work fine but there are two issues:
    1. There is no sound at all
    2. Safari flickers (I can work around that by using another browser)
    Sound is a key issue for me. Any idea why it does not work?
    Thanx
    Leon Emmen

Hello Emmen,

well the issue is that there is no kext for that.
      So safari issue is VRAM related (you may have 6mb VRAM).
      For the sound I’ve not noticed that but surely this is kext issue to.
      I’ll have to reboot the mini in 10.9.x to check I have the same issue.

14. Avatar Gio La Gala says:

Hi, I have just made an update from the app store, when I tried to reboot there was an refi issue. Unfortunately I do not find my previously patched SFOTT key anymore, how can I proceed to correct the EFI issue and make a new SFOTT Key from scratch. thanks .

Hello Gio,
      well to recreate a SFOTT key you’ll have to have a Running Mac at hand. from 10.6.8 to latest. then you’ll be able to recreate a Key.
      Now you’r issue will be to have the correct board-id and model.
      easier way would be to have (reinstall) a Lion System and boot from it with your Mac so you’ll have the correct board-id and model.
      What Mac do you have ? a MacPro 1,1 ?

15. Avatar Mo says:

Hi thanks a lot for your hard work.

I have a 17inch MacBook Pro 2006 with the following Hardware Overview

Modle Identifier: MacBookPro1,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP12.0061.B03
    SMC Version: 1.5f10

With an ATI Radeon X1600 256mb

The Problem is that after successfully making a mavericks boot key when I reboot the mac for installation, it dose not detect they key.

Hello Mo,

I’m sorry for this late reply….
      If you did not had the answer yet, well bad news, I’m quite sure you won’t make it as you have a Core Duo, and you need at minimum a Core 2 Duo to eventually go for it.

16. Avatar Mark C says:

I have a macbook core 2 duo 2.0 ghz with 4 gb of ram. I was able to use the sfott tool to create the flash drive , boot, and installed perfect, only problem I ran into was sound, I then proceeded to run an update in the app store that refused to boot afterwords, are we not supposed to update, and has anyone found a fix for this sound issue?

Hello Mark

Well done for getting this on a macbook, please tell us what model / board-id.
      yes you can update. but :

If you have a 10.9 – 10.9.1 then updating to any of 10.9.2-10.9.3-10.9.4 will make you have a failure of reboot.
      You then MUST repatch the system.
      please read carefully here : http://oemden.com/?p=791
      I won’t repeat in comments as I have allready done many times.

simply put : until you make the 10.9.2+ the update will replace the boot.efi – so you need to repatch.
      Until you system is not 10.9.2 at least you’ll have the issue. (like update from 10.9 to 10.9.3)

for the sound you’re not alone and you’ll have to try to play with .kext and I can’t help you much on that.

17. Avatar rizibo says:

Hi,
    I can’t use start up manager to boot off the usb. When I press the option key when the computer starts to make a bong sound during start up I only get a black screen and no boot up. I tried to make the usb the start up disk in the system manager but it doesn’t allow me. Is there any other ways to boot up from the usb?

18. Avatar rizibo says:

I have a flashed nvidia gtx 285 2gb. Could this cause difficulty in booting up from the usb?

19. Avatar rizibo says:

Sorry I forgot to add that I have a mac pro dual core xeon 2.66 GHz with a “boat loader” nvidia 7300gt card use to make a flashed nvidia gtx 285 with 2gb of ram operate in this system. I installed the sfott on a external drive and I couldn’t get the start up manager to open when I pressed the option key and the computer only shows a black screen. I copied the sfott onto a usb and I still couldn’t start the start up manager to boot off either the external drive nor the usb. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

20. Avatar rizibo says:

My machine is a 32 bit machine and the sfott installation said a patch was required. Will the patch placed in the sfott app? Thanks.

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "SFOTT | troubleshooting"